It is estimated that one in five Americans struggled with medical debt in 2011, a staggering thought when you consider you might be one illness away from mounting medical debt yourself. There are a number of different ways to handle medical debt and one of the best is before you even incur the debt. Health care is expensive, even for people who have health insurance so to avoid those expenses there are some things you can do to stay healthy and fight medical debt.
- Quit smoking – if you’re a smoker stopping can be one of the best things you do for yourself.
- Everything in moderation – Don’t deprive yourself of a treat you love and don’t overdo it on the exercise, take life in moderation and your body will thank you.
- Routine care – Make sure to visit your doctors as recommended for routine care, a small appointment now can save thousands if not more in more drastic care later.
- Shop around – No one said you had to keep using the same doctor for everything, if you find a better deal on something then switch doctors.
- Eat smart – You don’t need to be a dietician or know a lot about nutrition to get the basics down, less junk food and more fruits and veggies and you’ll be healthier.
- Exercise – Exercise doesn’t have to mean going to the gym and sweating, it could be something as simple as a walk after dinner every night, but get moving for better health.
The benefits of taking care of yourself and your health will not only pay out in the long run by helping you avoid costly medical bills, but they’ll make your life more enjoyable in a number of different ways.