Businesses are getting pretty creative with their efforts to pump up the sales numbers. Many companies are offering guarantees for consumers who fear they may soon face a job loss.
Let's to a look at some of the job loss guarantee offers:
- Ford and GM are offering to make car payments for consumers who experience a job loss after purchasing a new vehicle.
- Hyundai is allowing car buyers to return their new vehicle within a year if they experience a job loss or disability.
- JetBlue airlines is offering a full refund for plane tickets and hotel reservations if a consumer experiences a job loss before their trip.
Well, I don't know about the above mentioned deals for those who fear job losses. It may not be wise to make a purchase (especially a new car) simply because if you lose your job they will make payments or allow you to return the car. The truth of the matter is that many people run into financial problems because of some type of crisis, not just a job loss.
For example, many workers are experiencing reduced wages which can harm you just as much as a job loss. But below are some deals I think you SHOULD take advantage of:
- Walgreen is offering free in-store clinic visits to the unemployed and uninsured for ALL of 2009. You can't pass this deal up.
- Citigroup will temporarily lower mortgage payments to an average of $500 a month for some unemployed homeowners. If you are unemployed, you need to at least find out about this program and see if it will work for you. Don't forget to read the fine print and have an attorney look over any written agreements BEFORE you sign them.
- JoS. A. Bank Clothiers will refund the price of a suit if the buyer experiences a job loss and the buyer gets to keep the suit. If you need a suit, you should take advantage of this opportunity.